September 21, 2011

YO MAMA!!

Have you ever thought what it would be like to not smell fresh bread coming from the kitchen?  Or to have that gentle soft hand placed on your forehead in the middle of the night when you don’t feel well?  How about story time?  How important were these things to you when you were a child? 
I am speaking to the importance of women and the value they have in our world.  It is my opinion that women are the most powerful beings on this earth.  I believe this because every young man and women have to come through women to exist in this world and are then raised and conditioned to listen to that sweet voice as council. 
I was shocked recently as I was reading a Readers Digest article, which stated that in a 30 year period over 163 million female babies were not born into this world due to the policies of 5 countries.  These countries are China, India, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia.  I was overwhelmed by this statistic and saddened at the thought of such a powerful resource being discarded. I thought of the powerful women in my life that have shaped me into the man that I am and have given me the opportunity to help other people. 
The first of which was my amazing mother, Myrene Nixon. Her continual patience and prodding echo in my mind today.  As a child growing up with a severe learning disability and dyslexia, a mantra that my mother engrained upon my mind was “Dean you cannot use this as a crutch”.  To this day that is a mantra that continually drives me forward when I so desperately want to just sit down.  The second is Mimi Sorensen, my remedial teacher at cottonwood elementary school.  She was one of the sweetest, kindest, gentlest women that taught me the value of patience.   Third are my sisters who were a big factor in my rearing which taught me humor, belief in myself and to respect women no matter their shape or size.  Forth would be Cheryl Farr, one of the cofounders of Sunhawk academy.  She had the courage to open my eyes to emotional growth and another way to live.  Fifth is Sue Judd, longtime friend, role model and business partner. Sue has exemplified integrity, hard work and compassion.  Watching her give of herself freely to fight the battles of addictions in others has left me humbled and amazed.  Finally my amazing wife, Andrea, who I have learned the meaning of true love. She has the courage in me when I have lost it, who is my confidant and companion of whom I have the ability and blessing to spend the rest of my eternities with. 
As I thought of these women and the impact they have had in my life among the many other unmentioned women that have impacted me, I asked myself what if they had been one of these 163 million.  How would my life had been different?  Would I have the empathy and compassion and the value system that I now hold?  Would I have seen life the same?  I challenge all of you to see the power in womanhood and find a way to nurture that flame and help it to become the burning fire that can change our world for the better. 
Dean N Nixon
Seminar Director, Life Coach

TurningLeaf Wellness Center